Friday, November 19, 2010

Crunchy Baked Tofu


I can honestly say this is not only one of my favorite tofu meals but it is now just one my favorite meals period. I was in the mood for something "fried" and this flavor and texture combination was just right. 

I used Italian style herbs for my baked tofu but you could really substitute any flavor you wanted.

1/2 brick firm tofu, water drained and cut into quarters
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/8 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
pinch cayenne pepper
1 egg white
Pam

Place a pan covered with tinfoil in oven and preheat to 375F

Mix  bread crumbs with garlic salt, basil, oregano, and cayenne in a shallow bowl or plate

Put egg white in a shallow bowl, dip tofu in egg white then press into breadcrumbs to coat both sides

Spray Pam on hot baking sheet, put tofu on sheet then spray tops of tofu with Pam, this helps the panko stick and makes it extra crispy

Bake for 15-20 minutes flipping once, the tofu should soften up and your coating should be golden brown and crispy.
If it isn't quite as crispy as you'd like I have found the broiler to be an especially good "crisping" tool for this dish, just keep your eye on it as panko has a tendency to burn quickly.

Servings 1
Per serving 325 calories






Related Posts with Thumbnails