Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Spicy Vegetable Picatta


I decided to remake this recipe from one of my very first posts and I wanted to call it Vegetable Scampi. However, after some research on the meaning of the word scampi I discovered it did not refer to the garlicky sauce you normally find the shrimp in, it refers to the shrimp themselves. Scampi actually means prawns. Since my dish lacks anything of the sort I went with the term picatta because it is defined as "savory, tasty, spicy, or piquant" and that certainly sums this meal up perfectly. This dish is incredibly flavorful, the sauce is light, smooth, and tangy, the vegetables are garlicky and the capers, lemon zest, and basil on top make it seem much fancier than it actually is.

I'm sorry I haven't posted, responded to comments, or commented on the fabulous posts I have read in like a week, I have been insanely busy with school.  I also got to go home this past weekend for my Dad's birthday. It was so nice to spend some time with my family and dogs, they are wonderful and I loved getting to celebrate with them. My Dad requested that I make him Stuffed Acorn Squash and I happily obliged! I also got some recipes from my Mom that I cannot wait to make and post. Anyways, I have a very much needed appointment with my blog list later this week and I can't wait!

1/3 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
10 cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
3 large cloves of fresh garlic, finely minced
1 14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp butter
1/2 lemon
2/3 cup orzo
4 basil leaves
capers

Sauté the onions in olive oil over medium heat so they soften but do not brown
Sauté mushrooms until they are soft (add a little stock or water if necessary)

Cook the orzo according to the package directions around this time since it takes about 13 minutes

Add the minced garlic to the pan with the mushrooms and cook until it is fragrant
Turn the heat up to medium-high
Add artichoke hearts, wine, and red pepper flakes to pan and let reduce for about 5 minutes
Zest 1-2 tsp of the peel from your lemon and set it aside for now 
Add the butter and the juice from 1/2 the lemon to the pan, stir until the butter is melted
(If your sauce is too thick/not enough of it at this point add more vegetable stock or wine)

Divide the orzo between two bowls and spoon 1/2 the vegetables and sauce over the orzo
Top each dish with chopped basil, capers, and lemon zest

I served this alongside some roasted zucchini but green beans would also be great

Servings 2
Per serving (1/2 orzo, 1/2 veggies and sauce) 475 calories


Related Posts with Thumbnails