Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Roasted Asparagus


Sometimes I wonder what the people at our apartment complex think about Brad and me. When they see us carrying multiple armloads of groceries upstairs do they think I have some sort of insatiable food addiction? Do they ever catch a glimpse of us through our open windows, bent over a plate full of food, camera in hand, holding a reflector at odd angles to catch the light? Most importantly do our neighbors ever walk through the hall, smell what I'm cooking, and wish they were inside our apartment? I hope so!

Finals are starting next week so I have a lot going on of course. Hence why I have been rather absent from the blogosphere lately. I appreciate all of your comments on my Lemon Yogurt Cake more than I can tell you and am looking forward to replying and commenting on all the great posts everyone has put up recently! Hopefully I will get to do that this weekend :-) In the meantime though, I thought I would share this super easy and delicious asparagus recipe (seriously it's one of my favorites).


 Asparagus is one of those incredibly versatile vegetables that too often gets mistreated and ends up rubbery, bland, and rather disappointing. However, roasting it turns thick asparagus spears into a dish that can't possibly have a nose turned up at it. Crispy tips lend texture to tender stalks that nearly melt in your mouth. All lightly dressed with lemon zest to bring the dish to life. I have found that the thin asparagus tends to get a little stringy and chewy, the thicker spears have given me the best results.

1 bundle fresh asparagus (thick spears)
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp garlic salt or fresh minced garlic
medium pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp lemon zest

Preheat oven to 400F and line a large baking sheet with tinfoil

Trim the woody ends off the asparagus (gently bend a spear until the end snaps off, use this as a guideline for where to trim the rest of the spears)
Toss with olive oil, garlic salt, and red pepper flakes
Spread out on the tinfoil lined sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes until the spears are tender

Sprinkle with lemon zest and serve

Servings 2
Per serving (about 15-20 spears) 60 calories
Related Posts with Thumbnails