Friday, April 8, 2011

Vegetable Samosas with Mint Chutney


I was trying to fall asleep but all I could do was think of recipes, I think there may be a few of you out there who can relate? I wanted to make "curried potato and pea stuffed things" so I wrote that down and fell asleep. Around 2 am I woke up and remembered they were called samosas. The next day I immediately found this recipe in Cooking Light's Way to Cook Vegetarian cookbook so, instead of searching for days on end, I just went with it. I am so glad I didn't waste my time because it was exactly what I wanted. 


Every once in awhile I think it is important to take a few hours and do something you love. Last weekend I did just that when I spent some quality time in the kitchen making these. It is a really easy recipe but it's a little time consuming. Filling and folding 24 of these babies was the most relaxing thing I had done all week but it did take me a bit. I forgot all about the four tests I had the week after Spring Break while I stripped cilantro leaves off their stems, chopped mint, and peeled ginger. I watched a gorgeous green chutney whirl away in my food processor all while listening to the sound of sizzling samosas in a pan on the stove. It was a magical afternoon.

The result you ask? Well, it was unbelievably delicious, cool mint chutney slathered on top of steaming hot curried vegetable pastries...honestly better than I have ever had in a restaurant.
I wasn't lying when I said I am addicted to Indian food, I may need help, do you think there is an IFLA (Indian Food Lovers Anonymous)?

Just in case you aren't in love with cilantro Brad said these were great with sweet and sour sauce.

Adapted from Cooking Light's Vegetable Samosas with Cilantro-Mint Chutney 

Chutney
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
1 small shallot, skin removed
2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
1 tablespoon water
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp sugar
1 serrano pepper, seeds and stem removed and coarsely chopped
1/2 inch piece peeled fresh ginger, coarsely chopped

Samosas
2 lbs yukon gold potatoes (red potatoes would be great too), washed
1 tsp softened butter
2 tablespoons milk or water
1/2 tsp salt
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2-1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
12 egg roll wrappers
1 egg lightly beaten


Combine the ingredients for the chutney in a food processor and blend until smooth, set aside to let the flavors blend while you make the samosas

Peel 1lb of the potatoes and quarter all 2lbs of them (I only peeled half because I like potato skins but feel free to peel or leave the skins on all of them)
Boil a big pot of water and add potatoes, cook until fork tender
Drain potatoes and put them in a big bowl with the milk and butter, lightly smash with a fork (not too much though, over-mixing will make them gluey and I liked the chunks)
Add the salt, curry powder, and cumin and mix until combined
Gently fold in the thawed peas

*taste your potato mixture to see if it is seasoned enough, I added more spices than the recipe originally called for so you may want to as well*

Cut each egg roll wrapper down the middle to make two long rectangles (cover the rest of them with a damp paper towel)

Moisten the edge of the wrapper with a little bit of egg
Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the potato and pea mixture onto the wrapper, near the bottom edge

(This recipe makes quite a bit of filling and towards the end there was more than just a tablespoon going into each one but the overfilled samosas turned out just fine)

Fold the bottom corner up, over the filling, to the opposite outer edge to make a triangle
Fold over to the opposite side again (as if folding a flag, or a paper football)
When you get to the end make sure you seal the wrapper well, use more egg or water if necessary

Repeat with the remaining filling and wrappers

(If you plan to freeze any of them stop here (they freeze wonderfully by the way). Lay the uncooked samosas (in a single layer) on a lined cookie sheet and freeze. Once they are frozen put them in a freezer bag or container. Thaw overnight in the fridge before cooking.)

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with cooking spray or olive oil

Spray the outside of each samosa with a little bit of cooking spray or olive oil before adding it to the pan
Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes until they get browned and crispy

I kept the cooked samosas hot in the oven while I finished the rest but they can be served at room temperature 

Serve with the mint chutney


Servings 24
Per serving (1 samosa w/ 1 tsp chutney) 95 calories
Related Posts with Thumbnails