Sunday, January 23, 2011

Asian Baked Tofu


After the holidays are over time seems to just start dragging...especially with a new semester of school starting, all I can do is think about summer! Unfortunately, I haven't been doing much unique or new cooking recently and despite my efforts I have yet to find any inspiration to do so. However, I did discover my new favorite way to prepare tofu. This is an excellent combo of sweet and spicy and is easily prepared for a quick lunch or dinner.

This was a very thrown-together meal that was only deemed blog worthy after smelling and seeing the result. One taste reaffirmed that decision! Be sure to adjust the spicy and sweet levels to your liking as these are very much catered to my taste.

1/2 brick (170 grams) firm tofu, cut lengthwise into three thin slices and pressed between two paper towels for about 10 minutes
1/2 tbsp chile-garlic paste like Huy Fong
1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 tsp dark sesame oil

1 tsp packed Splenda brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375F
Put pressed tofu on a baking sheet lined with tinfoil and sprayed with Pam

Mix together chile-garlic paste, soy sauce, and sesame oil and brush on top of tofu (NOT the brown sugar yet)
Bake tofu for 10 minutes
Sprinkle brown sugar on top of each tofu piece and turn on the broiler 
Broil for about 3 minutes until sugar melts and gets a little crunchy
Some of the soy sauce that runs off the tofu will probably burn but just make sure nothing on the tofu does (of course)

Serve on top of rice or with sauteed vegetables
If you have sesame seeds I would highly suggest topping the tofu with them, unfortunately I was out of them.

Servings 1
Per serving 200 calories
Related Posts with Thumbnails